The full title of the webinar is actually much catchier: You Mean HIPAA Applies to Lawyers? Keeping Data Safe, Clients Happy and Your License Secure.
Hosted by the American Bar Association, this webinar discusses how the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act may affect practicing lawyers that may now fall under the definition of “business associate”.
From the webinar description:
It is imperative for lawyers to determine: (1) whether they are a business associate under HIPAA (or, how they might inadvertently become one); and (2) if they are a business associate, what steps must be taken in order to assure their compliance with the new HIPAA requirements under HITECH.
This program provides a foundational background of HIPAA and HITECH and provides an overview of the following:
- How law firms become business associates (intentionally or inadvertently)
- What HIPAA requires of law firm business associates
- How to properly safeguard client data
- Unauthorized uses and disclosures
- What constitutes a “breach”
- Business associate requirements in case of a breach
- Penalties, criminal, and civil liability associated with HIPAA
- Potential other ethical conflicts caused by HIPAA as you are forced to execute contractual agreements with clients
While the live webinar already took place on April 21, 2014, an on-demand recording is freely available to American Bar Association members for the next three months. As a bonus, this webinar provides 1.5 credits for Continuing Legal Education (CLE).
If you already have an understanding of how HIPAA may regulate your interaction with your client’s data, and are looking for a HIPAA-compliant way to remotely communicate with your clients, check out how www.securevideo.com provides HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing services. You can also test our services by creating a free account, read more about us in our Support Center, or e-mail your questions to info[at]www.securevideo.com.